Additional InformationThey’re unobtrusive ? until you turn them on. With innovative technologies derived directly from JBL® Professional equipment, the JBL ES20BK delivers powerful, accurate audio performance and brings legendary JBL sound from concert stages, recording studios and movie theaters home. You get 240 watts of peak power handling and hyper-realistic, deep, resonant bass – no unwanted distortion or boominess – from the proprietary 5-inch JBL PolyPlas™ low- frequency transducer. UHF drivers are capable of 40kHz and produce high-end nuances. EOS waveguides disperse high frequencies to make any seat the best one in the house.
High-definition audio with professional credentials The JBL® ES Series offers a variety of bookshelf, wall-mount and floorstanding loudspeakers, and bring-down-the-house powered subwoofers. With innovative technologies derived directly from JBL Professional equipment, the JBL ES Series delivers powerful, accurate audio performance and brings the legendary JBL sound from concert stages, recording studios and movie theaters to living rooms, dens, bedrooms and patios. And with three finishes to choose from – black, beech and cherry – they’re designed to look good anywhere, with a style that equals their substance. (The ES20BE comes in a beech finish.)
At A Glance:
Proprietary 5" JBL® PolyPlas™ low-frequency transducers
Proprietary Elliptical Oblate Spheroidal™ (EOS) Waveguide
Dual ¾" dome tweeters, pure titanium tweeter design
3-way speaker configuration
Straight-Line Signal Path™ (SSP)
What's in the box:
(2) ES20 3-way, 5" bookshelf loudspeaker
(4) Self-adhesive rubber feet.
(1) Owner's Manual
- Proprietary 5" JBL®PolyPlas™ transducers
- Stiff, lightweight PolyPlas™ transducers reproduce vocals with incredible accuracy and give great bass response. A seamless surround field is created. Distortion is minimized even at high volumes with a rubber surround for the driver. Together, they give you an unmatched audio experience.
- Elliptical Oblate Spheroidal™ (EOS) Waveguide
- Proprietary EOS Waveguide technology realizes the sonic response of your listening environment and delivers more precise imaging. You get ideally balanced music. Crisp dialogue. Smooth audio distribution. Every seat is the best seat in your home theater.
- Dual ¾" dome tweeters, pure titanium design
- The extremely thin but rigid titanium-laminate dome delivers accurate, undistorted high frequency response, even when the volume is way up. The end result is a full, clear, tight reproduction of high frequencies.
- 3-way speaker configuration
- Three-way speaker design and quality cones make for tighter, more precise bass and midrange reproduction. The JBL® ES20BK offers a full range of frequencies and lifelike imaging.
- Straight-Line Signal Path™ (SSP)
- The ideal path from input to components to transducers is a straight line. The JBL® ES20BK takes the shortest path possible. SSP technology preserves the clarity, detail and dynamics of the original audio content.
- Computer-optimized bass reflex port
- The JBL® computer-optimized bass reflex port extends deep bass response and eliminates unwanted turbulence.
- Outstanding audio output
- This small but muscular speaker offers 60 watts RMS and 240 watts of peak power, 3,300Hz crossover frequency at 24dB/octave, and 86dB sensitivity. Have fun.
- Accurate frequency response
- Nothing is over- or under-emphasized. With a frequency response of 65Hz ? 40kHz, the JBL® ES20BK reproduces a true, full sound range ? from deep bass tones to ultra-high frequencies.
- Magnetically shielded
- The JBL® ES20BK produces great, sit-anywhere sound in your room. And you can also put it anywhere, because it’s magnetically shielded for safe placement near your TV or display.
Magnetically ShieldedMagnetically shielded for placement wherever you want it, including right next to your TV or video display.
Bookshelf SpeakerA smaller footprint allows you to conveniently place your speakers in more places.
Wall MountableYour speaker can be wall mounted for the ideal home entertainment experience.
Manuals & Downloads:
- Power Handling (Recommended)
- Nominal Impedance
- 8 Ohms
- Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power
- Frequency Response
- (-3dB) 60Hz – 40kHz
- Crossover Frequencies
- 3300Hz – 24dB/octave 12000Hz – 18dB/octave
- Power Handling (Peak)
- (2.83V@1m) 86dB
- Ultra High Frequency Transducer
- 3/4" (19mm) Polyester-film ring-radiator, shielded; EOS waveguide
- High-Frequncy Transducer
- 3/4" (19mm) Titanium- laminate dome, shielded; EOS waveguide
- Low-Frequency Transducer
- 5" (130mm) PolyPlas,™ shielded
- Width (in)
- Weight (lb)
- Width (mm)
- Height (in)
- Weight (kg)
- Height (mm)
- Depth (in)
- Depth (mm)
ES20 is rated out of 5 by 23.
Rated 4 out of 5 by Matrix007 from Very good bookshelf speakers These small bookshelf speakers are great. I put a very basic 5.1 system together in the family room, and these speakers do the job nicely. I use them for my left and right fronts. Now, some may be saying they are to small to be used as/for front channels. But, I beg the differ. If you are tight on cash, I don't think you can find a better sounding small speaker for your front channels. Of course I use my sub for the lows. I also have a top - notch surround system in my bedroom with bigger JBL speakers for my front and center channel(s). I've been hooked on JBL speakers ever since my first purchase of 4312 Monitors. JBL speakers rock HARD!!!!!!!!!
Date published: 2012-06-22
Rated 5 out of 5 by Dylan from Quality I got these speakers earlier in the week and I was very satisfied with them. I purchased them to start phasing out some of my other speakers (RCA), and these blew them away. Excellent sound quality, plenty of power for what I'm after, and they are looking pretty good in my room. They were larger than my previous satellites, as expected. The terminals are exactly what I was after and usually in this price range, speakers didn't have 5-way binding posts. The finish was very clean, after I lightly wiped it off (dusty box from the gravel roads), and I am very happy with them. I would really like to purchase another set in the near future.
Date published: 2013-11-16
Rated 5 out of 5 by thelegend1310 from Great sound in a small package. After purchasing the ES150, we realized that we needed high-performing bookshelf speakers to match. Luckily, we stumbled across these at a steal ($130), and decided to get them. This was the greatest choice we could have made for our home theater! They present unmatched sound performance with crisp, clear highs, and the 60Hz bass response allows these to stand on their own without depending completely on a subwoofer. They blend perfectly with our ES150. A superb product!
Date published: 2016-06-10
Rated 5 out of 5 by Hank0458 from Great sound in small package Been shopping for a quality pair of small speakers to use with an AMP and my iPod and tablet to play music. I have a small living room and didn't want or need anything overpowering along with a compact size. These speakers fit the bill. Sound quality is great (of course there are some drawbacks for being bookshelf speakers) but overall I am very satisfied with them. Once I get a pair of speaker stands, the sound quality should improve.
Date published: 2016-01-05
Rated 5 out of 5 by Rick2014 from Crankin surround! I bought these as my outside front surround speakers to go with my S38 main stereo speakers and center studio speaker. they do great for surround filler, may order another set for my rear surround set, to replace old smaller jbls. System is also set up with dual 12" jbl 250 powered subs and makes most people head for cover when I crank it up !!! I just buckle up and hang on !!!! :) Rick
Date published: 2014-04-17
Rated 5 out of 5 by MisterT from ES-20 speakers a great bargain Being an audiophile I wanted to upgrade the sound quality of our bedroom HDTV. On some programs we were having a hard time understanding dialog. I mated these JBl's with a Denon DRA 397 receiver and are very pleased with the improvement. Ina music setting I would think that with a 10" or 12" sub this would be a killer stereo system. Highly recommended.
Date published: 2014-03-02
Rated 4 out of 5 by G1840 from Good value These speakers have a great range and clarity. Treble is bright without being "tinny" and the bass response is crisp. These speakers are a great value. I have a pair of Kitsch bookshelf speakers that require a subwoofer to provide the range and they do are not as clear though out the entire dynamic range. Thus, the E 320's are a better value.
Date published: 2014-11-29
Rated 5 out of 5 by Chaphole from Direct from Manufacture and UNREAL price..!!!!! After being a JBL fan for many years, I bought my first set of Studio Series speakers (S-310) in 2001. Since then, this has been as close to an addiction as I would like to admit. I was in market for some new speakers to go with my updated 7.2 Denon receiver. I searched everywhere I could think of online, looking to pick up some smaller speakers for rear channels. Just on a whim, and first time ever being on JBL.com, I saw the deal that I could not pass up. I just received these speakers two days ago direct from Cali, and can not get over the high end quality at such a Craigslist price. You will be so impressed by the performance that you will want to invite over the neighbor that never returns your tools to hear them . If you are in the market for a new set of book shelf speakers, these are amazing enough to be your offensive tackle, wide receiver or your half back. I recommend purchasing these direct from JBL, best value for your hard earned dollar.
Date published: 2016-01-14
WHEN WILL YOU HAVE THESE JBL-ES20 ?
The ES250 has been discontinued, it is sold out. Unfortunately we will not be getting any more in stock.
Date published: 2016-08-05
Hello, the Product Details of the speaker ES20 says this speaker is wall mountable: Your speaker can be wall mounted for the ideal home entertainment experience. Can you tell me how to mount it to wall? thanks, Leon
Two no. 8 round-head or panhead screws should be used per loudspeaker. The screw head should be between 5/16 inch (8mm) and 1/4 inch (6.3mm) in diameter, and the screw should be at least 2 inches (50mm) in length. When installing screws in any wall, always use properly selected wall anchors. Attach two of the four self-adhesive rubber pads that came with the loudspeaker to the back of the enclosure in the two bottom corners so that the cabinet is spaced evenly from the wall. Select a suitable mounting location on a wall. Drill two pilot holes, appropriately sized for the specific self-tapping screw or wall anchor that you will be using. The holes should be 10 inches (254mm) apart. The holes should be 3/4 inch (19mm) below where you want the top of the enclosure to be positioned. Use a carpenter’s level to ensure that the holes are even and that the speaker will mount on the level. Install the two screws into either a wooden wall stud or anchor, and tighten them until the back of each screw head is about 1/8 inch (3mm) from the wall. Install the loudspeaker by slowly moving the cabinet toward the screws so that the screw heads clear the larger circular portion of the two keyholes. Once both screw heads have entered the keyholes, the loudspeaker should gently be lowered onto the screw shafts. Check that the loudspeaker is firmly locked onto the screws by gently pulling the speaker down and forward.
Date published: 2016-06-02